Developing Inclusive Leaders
Building Capacity Cooperatively Across Chancellor-led Units
Inclusive Leadership Matters
The inclusive leadership development opportunities outlined below aim to: 1) promote understanding of how bias and discrimination along visible and invisible identity lines can disrupt recruitment and retention efforts, 2) highlight how issues of institutional culture impact climate and unit culture, and 3) build confidence in the ability of leaders to act in real time when instances of inequity appear.
Implementing the Diversity Plan
The University Diversity Strategic Plan highlighted building the capacity of leaders to create inclusive climates as one of five university priorities.
Inclusive Leadership Academy
The Inclusive Leadership Network hosts this cohort-based program to equip academic and administrative leaders to engage in critical self-reflection, foster positive relationships, and work toward institutional transformation within their scope and areas of responsibility.
- "Equity Fundamentals for Leaders" facilitated by Dr. Crystal Bedley and Kaylin Padovano, LMSW
- "Learning How to Mentor Across Difference" facilitated by the Faculty Diversity Collaborative
- "Leading Productive Conversations about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion" facilitated by Dr. Christine Goldthwaite and Dr. Herminio Perez
- "Assessing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Goals" facilitated by Dr. Christina Bifulco and Dr. Chris Drue
- "Orientation to Inclusive Leadership Academy" facilitated by Dr. Joan Collier
Inclusion Revolution Virtual Learning Community
Engage with leaders across the university around the book, Inclusion Revolution: The Essential Guide to Dismantling Racial Inequity in the Workplace by Daisy Auger-Domínguez. Dr. Sneha Veeragoudar and Dr. Joan Collier will facilitate virtual learning sessions from 10:00-11:30 am on January 31, February 7, February 21, March 7, March 28, and April 18.
Learn how to translate concepts into practices that cultivate inclusive workplaces, such as:
- Skillfully challenge harmful and stereotyping behaviors;
- Grow in comfort with conflict inherent to equity, inclusion, and diversity;
- Engage in hiring and promotion practices that build and sustain inclusive working teams.
Asynchronous Inclusive Leadership Pod
Individuals who join the self-paced inclusive leadership pod will complete a customized series of asynchronous Academic Impressions workshops. A sampling of topics include:
- Managing Change as an Inclusive Leader
- Inclusive Leadership: Understand Your Intersecting Identities to Better Serve Others
- Essential Practices for Leaders Communicating Across Difference
- Conflict Resolution: It's What You Said AND How You Said It
Participants will attend a single virtual collaborative learning session (February 6, 1-2 pm, February 8, 10:30-11:30 am, or February 9, 3-4 pm) where facilitators and participants discuss how concepts from the workshops can be applied and implemented through inclusive leadership to enable institutional transformation.
Join our mailing list to be the first to know about upcoming events and enrichment opportunities!